Skip to main content

A moment of madness: Cut your hair at home


rLets face it, in a whim we can all do something a little bit crazy! 

So this all began last year... I would go to the hairdressers ask for a "trim" and there something about that word that hairdresser think you asked for a shoulder cut or a bob. I would be polite in the salon then walk out and feel bald (bit dramatic but I would be annoyed). 

I bought VOGUE magazine and one article was "cut your hair at home" and thats exactly what I did and I have never returned to a salon I even use boxed dyes because their not as damaging to my hair due to a lower percentage of chemicals used. 

On to what happened - my Gran was a hairdresser so she has countless pairs of professional scissors so one night I grabbed a pair, pulled my hair round to the front of my shoulders and chopped away taking off about 2-3" (this was how much I needed to take off). I have previously had layers in my hair so I cut the same length off them too to keep a layered look. I do all this when my hair is DRY as I feel that doing it this way gives a more choppy, textured look. The biggest trick I learned to ensure you don't cut off too much was too NEVER pull your hair - just loosely hold it and cut. The next time you wash your hair brush your hair while its wet and see if the ends need to be tidied up. Remember... never pull hair! 



If your brave enough give it a go and you might save some pennies! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HighlightonFLEEK: Champagne Pop, Jaclyn Hill for Becca Cosmetics

The Becca and Jaclyn Hill collaboration has been the highlight of the year (pun intended) for the youtube and beauty world. Becca are known for their highlighters so it was a fitting match that the queen of highlight herself created her perfect shade that we can all enjoy too.  Unfortunately it's not widely available and is exclusive to Sephora... thank the makeup gods that Sephora now ship to the UK! The downside is anyone who doesn't live near a store will not have the luxury of trying before you splurge and you can only rely on swatches from google. For me this shade is not suitable for very fair skin tones although you fair ladies will be able to use this a a glowy bronzer to warm up the face.  The colour is a very warm peach with a gold champagne (duh) undertone. It feels very creamy and smooth in texture and this translates onto the skin as it just glides onto your cheekbones with one swipe! If you are on the fairer side you may want to go in with a light ...

FOTD: Pretty in pink

So today's face of the day was completed using the following products: BASE: Laura Mercier silk crème foundation (cream ivory) & Collection Lasting Perfection concealer (fair 1). To set I used Rimmel Stay Matte (001 transparent)  CHEEKS: Benefit Hoola Bronzer & M.A.C Dame blush HIGHLIGHT: Topshop All Over Glow  EYES: Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel (through socket) M.A.C Wedge eyeshadow (to blend) & Vanilla (on lid & brown bone) Maybelline Master Precise liquid eyeliner (lash line) M.A.C Fascinating eye kohl (water line) Maybelline the falsies volume express-black drama.  LIPS: M.A.C Please Me & Russian Red (blended together)    

Summer to Fall lips: Restless, Kendall Jenner for Estee Lauder

I love Estée Lauder makeup and Double Wear is my holy grail foundation so when Kendall Jenner became the face of the company and dropped this lipstick I was straight online to place my order!  If I'm not wearing nude lipstick I'm usually sporting orange/red and my favourite is M.A.C Lady Danger and when Restless arrived in the post it instantly reminded me of the old favourite but to my amazement Restless is far better due to better formulation. It is a matte formulation but it is very creamy making it easy to apply and non drying.  The colour is an orange red; if I'm at my palest this looks very orange against my skin tone which I enjoy but when I'm tanned it shows as a little more red so keep this in mind when purchasing what it could look like on your lips.  Estée Lauder have really upped their game this year and I'm excited to see what else they have in mind... Restless is still available online exclusive to  Estée Lauder .